From the “Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships,”
(1976) Vol. 6, pp.245-246.
ST. LOUIS' first convoy duty began on 17 June 1917 when
she departed New York in escort of Group 4, American
Expeditionary Force. Returning to Boston for repairs on 19
July 1917, she had completed six additional voyages,
escorting convoys bound from New York for ports in Britain
and France by the end of the war. After the Armistice, ST.
LOUIS was immediately pressed into service returning troops
to the United States. She returned 8,437 troops to Hoboken,
New Jersey, from Brest, France, in seven round-trip
crossings between 17 December 1918 and 17 July 1919, when
she arrived at the Philadelphia Navy Yard for repairs.
Back to story